9 March, 2020
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal’s vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat for Humanity operates as part of an international network with a common objective of reducing poverty and eliminating substandard housing and homelessness from the world.
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal holds the subcontractor status of DAI to recruit and mobilize human resources in two field offices and eight partner municipalities for Tayar Nepal Project. The positions will be hired by and contracted under Habitat for Humanity International Nepal and work full-time with Tayar Nepal Team.
Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Management Project is a USAID Nepal funded project, implemented by DAI. Tayar Nepal will strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national and municipal institutions responsible for disaster preparedness and response. Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Authority (NDRRMA) at the national level. Locally, Tayar Nepal will support eight urban municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and implementation of technical assistance packages to improve disaster preparedness and resilience of the communities. In the event of a disaster over the five-year life of Tayar Nepal, USAID/Nepal will engage the project’s rapid emergency response mechanism.
Tayar Nepal works closely with the Government of Nepal and municipalities with the support of its sub-contractors and resource partners to implement its activities. Tayar Nepal will establish municipal level Disaster Risk Management Assistance Centers (DRMACs) in eight partner municipalities to implement municipal level activities. These DRMACs will be coordinated and operated from the regional field offices located in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj. Field operation teams will be mobilized through Tayar Nepal’s sub-contractor Habitat for Humanity International Nepal in two field offices and eight partner municipalities. Field operational teams will include two Field Team Directors supervising eight teams of municipal level staffs in their respective regions.
Position: Field Officer
NO. OF VACANCIES: 1 (One) in each Municipality )
DURATION: Through December 2020 (Extendable if funding and need permits)
LOCATION: 8 Municipalities as below:
1. Bhimeshwor, Dolakaha District
2. Neelkhantha, Dhading District
3. Tulsipur, Dang District
4. Rajapur, Bardiya District
5. Lamkichuha, Kailali District
6. Godawari, Kailali District
7. Birendranagar, Surkhet District
8. Dullu, Dailekh
REPORTS TO: Field Team Director
FIELD VISITS: Frequent travel to field areas
CORE FUNCTION OF THE POSITION:
The Field Officer is responsible to undertake day to day operation, implementation, and monitoring activities of DRMAC (Disaster Risk Management Assistance Center) in coordinator with Field Engineer in respective municipality.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Undertake day-to-day operations, implementation, management, and monitoring of activities of DRMAC (Disaster Risk Management Assistant Centers) in coordination with Field Engineer in the respective municipality
• Support Field Team Director for coordination with the municipality office to form municipal level bodies/committees (Local Disaster Management Committee, Municipal Land Use Council)
• Collect/support collection of primary data in the field (field surveys, field investigations, household surveys etc.) and secondary data from the municipalities and relevant authorities in the municipality/province.
• Coordinate with the municipality, local partners and communities for field related activities
• Support and facilitate municipal level capacity building and training activities.
• Undertake and support Vulnerability Capacity Assessment and Participatory Approach for Safe Shelter Awareness (PASSA) at community levels in coordination with Field Engineer and Tayar Technical Experts
• Support to develop/update Municipal Disaster Risk Management Action (DRMA) Plan in coordination with Field Engineer and Tayar Technical Experts
• Support and facilitate in developing Risk Sensitive Land Use Plan and By-Law
• Support Field Team Director and Tayar Technical Team for coordination with municipal bodies for the endorsement and approval processes of Municipal DRMA outputs
• Conduct municipal level consultations to prioritize and design Tayar assistance packages in coordination with Field Engineer
• Support Field Team Director and Tayar Technical Team to develop detailed scopes of work (in coordination with Field Engineer) for Tayar Technical Assistance (TA) package that will include appropriate staffing, budget, workplan, and vendor requirements
• Oversee implementation of TA packages to ensure quality control and reporting in coordination with the MEL manager. Track, document, and monitor project progress within the municipality. (in coordination with Field Engineer)
• Support Tayar’s twining municipalities and provide technical/advisory support as and when needed
• Support Tayar’s media support team for outreach, communication and dissemination related activities
• Support Tayar Grantees, sub-contractor and partners to undertake their municipal level activities
• Other duties requested by Field Team Director
REPORTING, COORDINATION AND LOCATION:
• The Field Officer is hired under Habitat for Humanity International Nepal, works full time with Tayar Nepal Team, reports to Tayar Nepal Field Team Director and works in close coordination with DRMAC Field Engineer
• The Field Officer works closely with the Municipality’s DRRM Officer (Focal Person), Social Development Officer, Planning Officer and relevant others to ensure smooth and effective implementation of Tayar’s activities in the municipality
• The position is based in the assigned municipality with frequent travel to the field within the duty station municipality, in twining municipalities in the region (as and when required) and to Tayar Nepal Office (Kathmandu and Nepalgunj)
Knowledge and Skills:
• Results-driven with good interpersonal skills, both speaking and writing skills in English and Nepali Language
• Able to work effectively in cross-cultural settings; can support, negotiate, and cooperate with those of other cultures
• Proven ability to proactively manage workloads and multiple priorities efficiently and with minimal supervision
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and other relevant software skills
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATION AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum bachelor’s degree in relevant field (Rural Development, Sociology/Anthropology, Development Studies etc.)
• 5 years of relevant experience is required
• Experience in working with municipalities and local stakeholders (local government officials, women’s organizations, CBOs/NGOs, media, civil society and communities etc.), preferable with experience working with respective municipality with strong network within the municipality
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with local communities, vulnerable and most vulnerable groups, civil society and other stakeholders
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal is an equal opportunity organization. Women, persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantage communities and local candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps in recruitment. Habitat for Humanity International Nepal reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without assigning any reasons whatsoever.
Last date to apply: 14 March 2020
HOW TO APPLY